In self-publishing, you the author are the publisher. One of the advantages of self-publishing is that you maintain total control of the content in your book, you are the owner and the director. And as such, it is your responsibility to supply us with the ideas and concepts for your illustrations. No one knows your story and its characters and settings better than you. If you have questions about the RAD form, please contact your Illustration Coordinator for assistance.
Your Illustration Coordinator handles all communication surrounding your illustration project and acts as a liaison between you and your illustrator. We have found that it is a more productive use of time and talent to have the illustrators creating full-time, as it maximizes productivity and helps us maintain a high level of organisation and author satisfaction.
It all depends on the length of the manuscript. A more effective way for the illustrator to reference a manuscript with more than 3,000 words is for the you to highlight or pull excerpts from your manuscript for the illustrator to use as a resource for creating the art.
Company policy dictates that all changes to illustrations must be submitted in writing. We accept written changes through e-mail, attachments via e-mail, by fax, or through traditional mail. These should be addressed and sent directly to your Illustration Coordinator.
Should you have any revisions or changes related to the illustration service that you purchased, please note that you will incur addtional charges/costs.
1) Once we receive your completed RAD form, it is reviewed by the Art Director and assigned to the artist who best fits your project parameters.
2) Within 2 to 3 weeks, you will receive copies of your initial sketches for your review. (This is the best time to make revisions to your illustrations.)
3) If you request revisions to sketches, your project is put back into a queue in the order it was received and will take 2 weeks for completion. (You are limited to 2 rounds of complimentary revisions at sketch stage.)
Sketch revisions are limited, depending on the complexity and time required to make such changes. For example, changing the length of a character’s hair or adding or deleting a character or item in a scene constitutes reasonable sketch revisions. Starting over with a completely new concept does not, and is considered a brand new illustration, and you will incur a 1-hour charge to completely create an entirely new sketch. Hourly Illustration fee is £53.27.
4) Once we receive your approval to go to final art, it will then take approximately 4 weeks to complete your final illustrations.
5) You will then receive copies of your completed illustrations for review. You will be required to sign an approval form for us to move you on to book production. (You are limited to 1 round of complimentary colour revisions at final art stage.)If you want to make revisions to final art beyond colour modifications, you will incur additional charges to make those changes or may be required to purchase a completely new illustration. We reserve the right to make that determination based on your requested changes.
On average, your illustration project will be completed in 6 to 12 weeks. However, more time may be needed as deemed necessary by the artist, Art Director, and/or you, and will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Creating custom artwork can be a very complex and time-consuming process and we want to ensure that the end product is of the highest quality for our authors.
The illustration process is separate from the production of the galley and cover, and those stages will begin once your illustrations have been completed and approved.The purchase of Rapid Release services is only relevant to the interior production of your book, and does not apply to illustration timelines.
Unless you want a different artist and different style of illustrations for each of your books, it is our current policy to work on one book at a time. This minimises confusion for both the author and the illustrator and maximises the quality and consistency of the illustrations from one to book to the next.
”Premium” denotes the amount of services included in the packages. Not all premium packages include illustrations, but the two that do include only level 1 Personal Touch Illustrations. You do have the option to purchase an upgrade to the level 1 illustrations. Your Publishing Consultant can assist you in that transaction.
A single illustration that spans from one page across the fold to the facing page as a continuous scene is known as a DOUBLE PAGE SPREAD. A double page spread constitutes two (2) illustrations, and must be purchased as such.